There’s something

There’s something

Postby hongwei28 » 20 Aug 2018, 06:01

CLEVELAND — The Cleveland Indians Cody Latimer Color Rush Jersey , who are in first place in the American League Central Division, are in the midst of a portion of their schedule in which they have an opportunity to lengthen their division lead, or see it evaporate — quickly.

Saturday at Progressive Field the Indians will host the division-rival Minnesota Twins in the second game of a three-game series. Saturday’s game will be the Indians’ ninth game in a 16-game stretch in which they will play only AL Central teams. In the first eight games in that span the Indians are 4-4, including a 6-3 loss to the Twins Friday night.

Overall this season the Indians are 18-12 against AL Central teams, including 11-3 at Progressive Field. The Twins are 15-10 against AL Central teams, and 5-2 against Cleveland.

Both teams made roster moves prior to Friday’s game. The Indians activated outfielder Tyler Naquin off the disabled list and placed first baseman Yonder Alonso on the family medical emergency list. Naquin was in the lineup Friday and played center field. He went 1-for-3 in his first game since being placed on the DL on May 11 with a strained left hamstring.

The Twins on Friday activated first baseman Joe Mauer off the disabled list and recalled infielder Taylor Motter from Triple-A Rochester. Mauer and Motter replace infielder Miguel Sano, who was optioned to Class-A Fort Myers, and outfielder Jake Cave, who was optioned to Rochester.

“It’s really been bothering him that he hasn’t been contributing while we’ve been losing. His biggest goal is to win,” Twins manager Paul Molitor told the Minneapolis Star Tribune regarding Sano. “Some things have knocked him off course from time to time, and it’s time to address them.”

Mauer missed 25 games with a cervical strain/concussion-like symptoms. Motter was claimed off waivers from Seattle on May 28 and hit .167 (7-for-42) at Rochester.

Although the Indians are just 6-7 in June, they are encouraged by the improved work by their bullpen Broncos Courtland Sutton Jersey , which was the American League’s worst over the first two months of the season. However, in the month of June, the Indians’ 2.30 bullpen ERA ranks fifth. Two new additions, left-hander Oliver Perez and right-hander Neil Ramirez, have been key contributors in the bullpen’s resurgence.

“We were hoping that with an opportunity to pitch for those guys, good things would happen, and that’s what happened,” said Indians manager Terry Francona. “Perez has helped a lot, and Ramirez has some swing and miss stuff. Things are definitely settling down (in the bullpen).”

The pitching matchup Saturday will be a pair of right-handers: Cleveland’s Carlos Carrasco vs. Minnesota’s Fernando Romero.

Carrasco (8-4, 3.90 ERA) is coming off his best start of the season, a 4-0 win over the White Sox on June 11. In that game, Carrasco pitched seven scoreless innings. He gave up two hits and recorded 11 strikeouts with one walk.

Carrasco has started two games against the Twins this season and is 0-1 with a 5.06 ERA. In 19 career appearances (16 starts) against Minnesota Cheap Mark Walton Jersey , Carrasco is 5-7 with a 3.97 ERA.

The 23-year-old Romero (3-2, 3.92) will be making his ninth major league start and his first against Cleveland. Romero’s last start was a 7-5 win over the Angels on June 10. Romero pitched five innings in that game, giving up three runs (two earned) on five hits, with five strikeouts and two walks.

Romero’s rookie season started well but has been bumpy in recent starts. In his first three starts he was 2-0 with a 0.54 ERA. But in his last five starts he is 1-2 with a 6.20 ERA.

— Tavon Austin never really had a fresh start with a new coach in Los Angeles because of a wrist injury that plagued him and a hamstring that popped before the last of five disappointing seasons with the Rams.

The eighth overall pick in the 2013 draft believes the opportunity has arrived through a trade to the Dallas Cowboys and the health that Austin hoped would come with it. Having something to prove is nothing new for the 5-foot-8 hybrid receiver/returner/runner.

“There’s always going to be a chip on my shoulder, No. 1 because I’ve always been small,” Austin said. “I had the same thing coming out, when I went No. 8. So the chip’s always going to be there regardless. But last year was a little hard, my injury and I didn’t get a fair chance over there.”

At first, Austin really didn’t know what to make of the draft-day deal that sent a sixth-round pick to LA. He had largely been a spectator when the Rams ended a 12-year playoff drought in the first season under offensive-minded coach Sean McVay.

Austin’s first conversation with owner Jerry Jones boosted his spirits, and he later told reporters he was close to a recovery from ligament damage in his left wrist. He hasn’t missed a day at training camp as part of a revamped group of targets for quarterback Dak Prescott.

While he played in all 16 games for the NFC West champions with nine starts, Austin had just 13 catches for 47 yards. Most of his work was as a runner (59 carries, 270 yards and his only touchdown). Most of his time was spent on the bench.

“Last year was the first time I had hit rock bottom dealing with an injury and the media bashing me saying I couldn’t do it Cheap Dalton Schultz Jersey ,” said Austin, who had 1,689 yards and 12 touchdowns receiving and 1,238 yards and nine TDs rushing with the Rams, who were in St. Louis when they drafted him.

“But I stayed true to myself and I knew what happened to me. I wasn’t a person to cry or point fingers or find any sympathy. If I went out there, I went out there. I thought I was ready, so that’s what it was.”

Austin tries to stay out of the spotlight after practices at camp, only occasionally stopping for interviews. The 28-year-old is soft-spoken and reserved, but quick with a smile once he gets to talking.

The Cowboys signed a pair of free agents in Allen Hurns and Deonte Thompson, dumped franchise touchdown receptions leader Dez Bryant in a cost-cutting move and drafted Michael Gallup in the third round, a day before the trade for Austin.

The change of scenery offered Austin the rare chance to fill a leadership void despite being new to Dallas. Not only are the Cowboys likely to have four new receivers on the 53-man roster, they have a new coach at the position as well.

“He’s that veteran guy that I don’t know that I’ve really had that I can say Authentic Byron Maxwell Jersey , ‘Hey, get them to do this,'” receivers coach Sanjay Lal said. “Because even in the walkthrough, he’s working through his footwork, he’s sinking his hips, which is how you build muscle memory. Don’t waste these reps.”

The way Austin sees it, he didn’t get Lal’s attention by doing anything unusual.

“I’ve never been a captain of a team,” Austin said. “But people always listen just because of my work ethic. When I’m out there just talking, I’m having fun and No. 2 just competing. It’s just in me. I definitely will take the role on being in leadership.”

He’ll also take the role of coming out of the backfield — assuming that happens at some point. With almost as many carries (184) as catches (194) in his career, Austin figures to remain a hybrid back. The Cowboys just haven’t shown much of the backfield component in camp.

“You can call him whatever you want to call him,” coach Jason Garrett said. “He’s obviously very quick. He’s very fast. We’re comfortable lining him up as a receiver outside or inside and certainly in the backfield as well. He’s done all those things.”

Now Austin gets to try them with that elusive fresh start.

hongwei28

Re: There’s something

Postby hirelaptops » 13 Sep 2018, 13:43

Great sound!
hirelaptops

Return to English